htmHeader


BSA Updated Easier Requirements for 2016!!!

The number of requirements you need has changed, all the activities on this blog are still good, they just changed how many you need to do and some slight wording changes. but please check the new Requirements above to be sure you don't do unneeded work.


Shortcuts:
Bear Reqs. Webelos 1 Reqs. Webelos & Arrow Of Light Electives Arrow Of Light Reqs. Miscellaneous

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Bear Adventure: Bear Claws


Bear Adventure: Bear Claws

-------------------------------------------------------------

1. Learn about three common designs of pocketknives.
  • Cub Scout Idea Site: 3 common deigns of Pocket Knives 
  • Here is what I covered, 5 kinds of knives.  
    • I got out one of each kind of knife(i had an axis lock already), 
    • I showed them to the boys how to open and close it and how it worked
    • Then had them open and close each kind of knife
    • The idea is that they know how to safely close any open pocket knife they encounter
2. Learn knife safety and earn your Whittling Chip.
  • Basic Whittlin' Chip Requirements 

  • Requirements:

    1. Know the safety rules for handling a knife.
    2. Show that you know how to take care of and use a pocketknife.
    3. Make a carving with a pocketknife.* Work with your den leader or other adult when doing this.
    4. Read, understand and promise to abide by the "Knives Are Not Toys" guidelines.
    5. Read, understand and promise to abide by the "Pocketknife Pledge."
    *One of the items carved for requirement 3 of the "Bear Claws" adventure
    may be used to fulfill Whittling Chip requirement 3.
     

    The Pocketknife Pledge:

    • I understand the reason for safety rules.
    • I will treat my pocketknife with the respect due a useful tool.
    • I will always close my pocketknife and put it away when I am not using it.
    • I will not use my pocketknife when it might injure someone near me.
    • I promise never to throw my pocketknife for any reason.
    • I will use my pocketknife in a safe manner at all times.

    Knives Are Not Toys Guidelines

    • Close the blade with the palm of your hand.
    • Never use a knife on something that will dull or break it.
    • Be Careful that you do not cut yourself or any person nearby.
    • Never use a knife to strip the bark from a tree.
    • Do not carve your initials into anything that does not belong to you.
     
  • Whitllin Chit handout
  • Whittlin Chit Instructors Sheet
3. Using a pocketknife, carve two items.
we carved soap into a fish or a bear (or whatever) teach the boys how to cut chips and how to cut shavings (the old name of this requirements), then we sharpened a bamboo chop stick, as bamboo is easy to carve, and made a "tent Peg", then I pre made Wooden whistle blanks and the boys carved the inner dowl flat and we put them together with glue, and cut the end off at an angle, then we sanded them and rubbed in an orange oil and bees wax mix (finished a later elective finishing a project made of wood(),
Required: Pocket knife for each boy, carving projects, rules handout, rules quiz for afterwards, whittlin chip cards

No comments:

Post a Comment